Friday, October 07, 2005

Do it anyway

The following poem was found engraved on the wall of the Mother Teresa’s home for children in Kolkata (Calcutta), India. It was attributed to her, but was probably written by a guy named Kent Keith in 1968. He copyrighted the work and included it in a booklet published for high school student leaders.

Whoever penned it, I think it represents a pretty good way to live.


People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered; Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, People may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you; Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight; Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous; Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; Give the world the best you've got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God; It was never between you and them anyway.


More of Mother Teresa’s words can her found here.

3 comments:

Evon said...

I think these statements are all very true in life...and I agree that one should try to do the best they could/ be the best person they wanna be despite constant setbacks...
I think I may stick these up on my wall to remind myself everyday.

Evon said...

Would it be ok for me to post this poem on my webblog! I would really like to share this with my friend. I won't forget to quote your reference!

Moc said...

Hi Evon

Sure, go for it!

How are things, btw?