Friday, June 09, 2006

World Cup Predictions

I have World Cup fever!

With the tournament kick-off only minutes away, I thought I'd share my predictions for the competition. That way you can chastise me when I get it horribly wrong.

Winners: Netherlands
Golden boot: Fernando Torres (Spain)

What do you reckon?


Next week sees the climax of the Dauphine Libere, an important warm up for the Tour de France. My tip for that was Floyd Landis, but he's still outside the top ten. For the Tour itself, Ivan Basso looks mighty but I'm hoping Jan Ullrich shows just how good he can be.

Talking of cycling, I had a bad an expensive problem on Wednesday. I have cantilever brakes, and cycling back from College my rear brake cable snapped. My supervisor (a bit of a bike expert) recommended I get a new cable professionally fitted, but Halfords have quoted £70 (£4 parts, the rest labour) to do so. Ouch!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not try an independent bike shop? They might charge more for parts, but will probably fit it free out of good will!

Moc said...

Thanks for the advice. Ended up sending a request for help to the Bicycle Users' Group at College and a friend replied offering to help replace the cable. Ended up costing less than £10, and I've learnt how to fit it myself shoudl the need arise again.

BTW, who are you, anon?