Wednesday, February 22, 2006

China and WorldMUN beckon

I’ve just bought a ticket to China. Towards the end of next month I’ll be going to Beijing to participate in the Harvard World Model United Nations. It’s the world’s largest student MUN simulation, with around one thousand four hundred delegates from all over the world expected to attend and eighteen different UN committees being simulated. I’ll be representing Nigeria in the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. Seeing as it’ll only be the second MUN conference I’ll have attended I’m pretty apprehensive about how productive I’ll actually be, but I’m really looking forward to it. It’s the first time WorldMUN is being held in Asia and it will be my first time in China and I can’t wait to explore. Fortunately, I’ve been given an extra week off by my supervisor so I’ll also be able to see some of the country.

In the mean time, though, I have to do some serious preparation. I know next to nothing about the country I’m representing (Nigeria), let alone the topics we’ll be discussing (Rwandan refugees in Burundi and Unaccompanied minors). Position papers are due soon so I’d better get to work. Help!

No comments: