Saturday, June 04, 2005

PhD meeting

Today was the PhD information session. The Prof in charge told us a little about the program, but the overwhelming impression was that this year the whole process is a bit of a mess. The opportunity was in response to the General Medical Council's Modernising Medical Careers directive, which recommends that med schools give willing and able students the chance to coming a PhD with their medical studies. But the College's response seems to have been late this year, and many of the divisions that would potentially have med students are as confused as we are about how we apply. Nevertheless, this week I'll look at all the webpages of each of the research groups offering a studentship, and if I find any that are dong an interesting developmental neurobiology project I will find out more. The Medical Research Council's Clinical Sciences Centre have their PhD interviews next week, so I'd better get cracking! As expected though, my mum is against me doing the studentship before finishing med school. And most of my friends think the same. What do you think?

No comments: